Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Ctrl+Alt+GoF*yourself

I have been designing some corporate logos lately and when in a train station I began sketching an idea that I had for one of them. I had a No. 2 Skillcraft pencil I stole from the dentist and a yellow legal pad from who-knows-where. But I digress...

For the last 10 years, I may doodle while talking on the phone or sitting in a meeting, but rarely do I put ideas onto paper. I get the juices flowing by "sketching" right into Illustrator or Photoshop. I can change colors, fonts and such with a quick keystroke. Over time, I have gotten use to the tools and options to the point that I rarely think about keyboard shortcut or mouse clicks or combinations of the sort. In minutes I can have a mock-up of what I want to do and work from there.

So, while waiting for the train, I sketched a stylized letter 'A' as it appeared in my head. As it progressed, I was becoming pleased with the design and thinking of all the aspects that would go along with this 'A' to complete the logo. One line suddenly went askew and, in an instant, my brain said "CTRL-Z" as I flipped the pencil over to erase.

UNDO! UNDO! Stupid eraser just smears the lead. Ruining the line. Ruining the design completely! Thoughts being mumbled, CTRL-Z! CTRL-ALT-Z! CTRL-A...DELETE! F12!

I eventually threw the design away.

"Power tastes great unless you choke on it." --hb

No comments:

Post a Comment